I believe that creativity is some kind of human magic because AI and robots still can’t achieve our imaginary level. However, being creative isn’t easy and doesn’t come naturally. The problems with this kind of magic:
- it isn’t random,
- it has nothing to do with inspiration,
- you aren’t born this way; you can train your brain to be more creative.
How? By doing creative work (in your field) over a long period of time. Ta-ta! 😉✌️
Do you remember the rule of 10.000 hours? I guess here is hidden the answer to genius and creativity.
That’s the great secret of creativity. You treat ideas like cats: you make them follow you. If you try to approach a cat and pick it up, hell, it won’t let you do it. You’ve got to say, “Well, to hell with you.” And the cat says, “Wait a minute. He’s not behaving the way most humans do.” Then the cat follows you out of curiosity: “Well, what’s wrong with you that you don’t love me?” Ray Bradbury Zen in the Art of Writing
I made some changes in The Pearl Territory:
- the planets: changed Mars to Titan
- the number of the original survivors is now 1296 (let’s say 12 people from 12 tribes is 144. 144 multiply by 9 circles or regions = 1296)
- there’re 55 characters/heroes in the book
- there’re 33 chapters: private journals and dialogues
- genre: post-apocalyptic, metaphysical fantasy, a surreal drama
The full book cover (print) will be posted next week. But the front of the book looks like this:
55 heroes! Damn! As you see, being creative is tough. Many artists give up in frustration when they’re trying to complete a project: book, song, painting.
But wait… check out what Elizabeth Gilbert said about the importance of dissatisfaction and failure: “The frustration, the hard part, the obstacle, the insecurities, the difficulty, the I don’t know what to do with this thing now, that’s the creative process!”
The conclusion: Go ahead, rage when you need it! 😬
If still in doubt, remember… that no one is nothing. Everyone has a place and a purpose. Some choose their purpose and others have it thrust upon them, but no one is useless. Everyone is someone. You are someone. This world has a use for you. That’s why you are here.
Next post – Book Review